The Importance of a Skin Care Routine After Pregnancy
Pregnancy is a beautiful experience with many ups and downs. It involves a combination of hormones, oils, and increases in blood volume that give women that glowing skin and cravings for the most random foods. In the end, all women hope, for one thing, a healthy baby and of course, our pre-baby body back.
The most common issues women face after pregnancy are loose skin and the appearance of stretch marks. But you are not alone! Contrary to popular belief there are steps you can take to get you, your skin, and your body back to that pre-baby look! Stretch marks commonly appear after growth spurts, rapid weight gain or loss, rapid muscle growth, and pregnancy. On the bright side, these changes are reversible, and this blog will give you the knowledge and know-how to get you – your skin and body back, all on your own.
What Happens to the Skin After Giving Birth?
Pregnancy is fraught with hormones, duh! Now this is commonly associated with feelings of lethargy, fatigue, and stress – the culprit causing changes in skin texture. In order to get your pre-pregnancy body and skin back, it begins with a proper diet and skincare routine.
Adopt a Proper Skin Care Routine
Aside from a proper diet, a skincare routine is crucial to repairing skin damage after giving birth. Stretch marks and loose skin are among two of the most frustrating and longest-lasting postpartum issues women have to deal with. Here are some tips for you to try:
- Hydrating your skin does not only mean drinking lots of water (which we can’t emphasize enough) but also using a good moisturizer. For optimum results, opt for a moisturizer with Hyaluronic acid in the ingredients
- Aside from working out (with a doctor’s consultation of course), use a body shaping lotion or oil to help tighten the loose skin caused after giving birth. The skin stretches as the baby bump grows, after giving birth, many women find that the skin, mainly around the belly area, is loose.
- The biggest concern that women face with pregnancy, is the appearance of stretch marks. As mentioned earlier, stretch marks can be caused by multiple different changes in the body such as rapid weight gain or loss and of course, pregnancy. Purchasing a cream that will help with diminishing stretch marks is a must.
Looking for a product that would best fit the top 3 criteria will definitely ease your daily skin care routine. A great product to use would be Maelys B-FLAT Cream (click here to purchase your own). This product includes a mix of natural ingredients including but not limited to Hyaluronic acid to hydrate the skin, Guarana seed extract that helps tighten the skin, and bentonite that works to reduce the appearance of stretch marks.
Hydration, Vitamins, and Your Diet:
As a new mother, your entire day is focused on providing your new bundle of joy with all of their needs. Taking care of yourself is commonly forgotten and barely makes it on to your to-do list. However, it is highly advised that a proper diet be followed so as to reverse all the damage caused to your skin:
- Vitamin deficiency is very common in women who have just given birth. Upon medical advice, taking a multi-vitamin will make a huge difference to the skin and body. It is important to replenish the vitamins that are lost during childbirth for proper energy, cell development, and reduce the risk of postpartum depression, to mention a few.
- Drinking a lot of water after pregnancy is vital to keep your skin hydrated, bring that pregnancy glow back, and keep a tight rein on hormones. Almost everyone is guilty of not consuming the recommended amount of water (a minimum of 8 cups/day) on any normal given day, so you could imagine how difficult it might be for a new mother?
RewindGuide’s Best Stretch Mark Creams
B FLAT Cream
Leave water beside the crib, next to your rocking chair, close to your feeding station – your body doesn’t care if the water is room temperature, and neither should you. Another helpful tip: using a straw has proven to help drink larger amounts of water while providing relaxing benefits due to the sucking action required to do so.
- Eating a healthy, timely, and leafy green rich diet helps the skin due to the anti-inflammatory properties, high iron content (dark leafy greens such as kale and spinach), and high vitamin A content (in vegetables such as broccoli and spinach). Incorporating these vegetables into your daily diet will give your skin a healthy glow – and many of which don’t need to be cooked saving you time!
- An exercise regimen is essential to your overall well-being. Aside from losing weight, exercise keeps the skin healthy, promotes the production of collagen, and returns your skin’s natural glow. A brisk walk or yoga can go a long way, however, make sure to consulate your Doctor prior to beginning any rigorous activities.
Incorporate these minor changes into your daily routine and your future self will most certainly thank you! Giving birth is a magical experience that does come with an overwhelming amount of emotions and many women can relate to that bittersweet feeling of becoming a mother. Sleepless nights, exhaustion, and never-ending days are only some of the hardships that parents go through as they add a new addition to the family and that is definitely not all.
The changes a woman’s body goes through postpartum can be an excess burden but with a few additions and alterations to your diet and skincare routine, getting back your pre-pregnancy body is right around the corner. Being consistent is key, and although any real changes in life do take some time, it won’t take forever. Remember, you need to take care of yourself to get your strength back, health, and body back. And don’t forget, a happy baby starts with a happy mommy!